Please see information further down for contact and background information on the Institute. (Navigation within pages to the left, further pages accessible via the links above.)
- Theory informal seminar: Thursdays, 13:00-14:00, lecture hall delta (Please contact Prof. H. Weigel, weigel@... for details)
- Congratulations to students Jaco Blanckenberg, Martin Capraro and Mohau Mateyisi who recently were awarded their degrees or are about to receive them!
- Seminars, etc.: Various seminars take place in our group and at NITheP.
The Institute of Theoretical Physics (originally named Institute of Theoretical Nuclear Physics) was founded in 1984 with the support of the Nuclear Development Corporation of South Africa. The fundamental objectives of the Institute are to undertake research projects in theoretical physics, to assist in the education of graduate students and to provide a centre for the development and co-ordination of activities in theoretical physics in the Physics Department and elsewhere.
Our research activities cover a wide spectrum and include the study of
- solitons in field theory,
- quantum phase transition and exceptional points,
- gauge theories,
- complex systems,
- statistical physics of polymers and biopolymer systems,
- correlations and fluctuations in hardonic and nuclear collisions and
- cascades and multifractals in fully developed turbulence.
The activities of the Institute of Theoretical Physics are closely linked to those of the National Institute for Theoretical Physics (NITheP).
For more information please see the link to Research above.
For queries, please contact:
Either Prof. Herbert Weigel or Prof. Hans Eggers
Department of Physics
University of Stellenbosch
Private Bag X1
7602 South Africa